EACTA aims to be an educational world leader in cardiac, thoracic and vascular anaesthesia and critical care in adults and children including echocardiography, cardiopulmonary bypass, heart and lung transplantation and mechanical support of the circulation.
The Chair of the Education Committee is a permanent member of the EACTA’s Board of Directors and who is responsible for the maintenance and development of the EACTA’s educational programme.
- EACTA plans to extend its established educational activities beyond the EACTA Annual Congresses and EACTA ECHO Courses.
- Developing programmes for continuing medical education (CME) is an especially important challenge for EACTA that has the promise of creating highly useful educational tools for all members.
The EACTA education programmes comprise of:
- Formal Training:
- Continuous Medical Education (CME)
- Webcasts: Currently, EACTA’s eAcademy [members area] include the following webcasts:
- EACTA Annual Congresses
- EACTA Trainee Course 2015, Gothenburg, EACTA lecture series covering the most essential domains of CTVA & CC for trainees – Webcasting of EACTA Trainee Course 2015 in Gothenburg
- EACTA Trainee Course 2014, Florence, EACTA lecture series covering the most essential domains of CTVA & IC for trainees – Webcasting of EACTA Trainee Course 2014 in Florence
- EACTA Annual Congress 2013, Barcelona, Sessions from the EACTA Annual Congress 2013 in Barcelona
- EACTA Annual Congress 2012, Amsterdam, Sessions from the EACTA Annual Congress 2012 in Amsterdam
EACTA ECHO COURSES
- Trans-esophageal Echocardiography (TEE) Certification Course – EACTA ECHO 2013, Montpellier Sessions from the EACTA ECHO Course 2013 in Montpellier
- Recordings / Streams
- EACTA Annual Congresses
- EACTA Annual Congaree in Manchester, 2018 (Selected sessions)
- EACTA VAD Management Masterclass, Berlin 2017
- EACTA Echo Courses
- EACTA Advanced Echo Course, Valencia 2017
- Certification Course, Leipzig 2016.
- Recordings / Streams
- EACTA Annual Congress, Berlin, 2017, PowerPoint Presentation, Thoracic Panel
- EACTA Annual Congress, Basel, 2016, PowerPoint Presentation, Cardiopulmonary Bypass Panel
- EACTA YouTube Channel: Currently, EACTA offers free parts and full length of recording educational activities on the EACTA YouTube Channel [click here].
- Pediatric Cardiac Learning Center (funded by Cincinnati Children’s, 3333 Burnet Ave, MLC 2003, Cincinnati, OH 45229, The United States). [click here]
- EACTA aims to increase the visibility of EACTA and develop its educational leadership in paediatric cardiac anaesthesia through a partnership with the PCLC since September 2017.
- EACTA is included as an exclusive partner with the Pediatric Cardiac Learning Centre (PCLC) for providing materials on paediatric cardiac anaesthesia.
- Thoracic Masterclass, Charleroi, Belgium (November 21-22, 2019) [click here].
- Train-the-Trainer Courses:
- EACTA offers the Train-the-Trainer Courses starting from the Annual Congress in Manchester 2018.
- TEE Exam with the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging (EACVI) [click here]
- Refreshing Courses [coming soon]
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE EDUCATION COMMITTEE
The Education Committee has the following responsibilities:
- Addressing training, accreditation and certification requirements
- Evaluating and endorsing the applications for accreditation and re-accreditation of the fellowship and exchange programmes.
- Developing continuing education opportunities, masterclasses, and refreshing courses in cardiac, thoracic and vascular anaesthesia and critical care, cardiopulmonary bypass, transplantation and mechanical assist devices.
- Conducting surveys of hosting centres and trainees for quality assurance.
- Developing the curriculums for cardiac, thoracic and vascular anaesthesia and critical care
- Surveying educational sponsorship offerings in the subspecialties of CTVA, intensive care, perfusion, transplant and assist devices.
- Identifying financial resources for clinical fellowship grants.
EDUCATIONAL PLANS FOR 2018-2022
PARTNERSHIP WITH INDUSTRY
“The Educational Committee has planned EACTA’s educational activities including e-learning modules, webinars, and masterclasses, for the upcoming years. We would like to share them with those parts of the industry that are interested in our medical subspecialties in the spirit of an “Alliance for Science”. The EACTA Board of Directors’ opinion is that such scientific educational activities will realise its vision of EACTA becoming the leading association in Europe for professionals working in cardiac, thoracic and vascular anaesthesia, critical care and perioperative medicine. In addition, these educational plans will support EACTA’s mission to ensure excellence in health care by providing high-quality education, promoting research and encouraging teamwork. As I said to you, one of our strategic thrusts comprise investment in learning and development: it is our opinion that this represents a great opportunity for a shared strategy between EACTA and you, where shared projects on new educational initiatives can bring us towards a strong mutually beneficial relationship with EACTA providing scientific competence and endorsement, and the industry supporting proposals/ideas related to your specific interest and field.
Look forward to your feedback on which of these proposals trigger your interest, and also to receiving proposals from your side.
We hope you will be willing to be our partner!!”
Fabio Guarracino, President of EACTA
November 30th, 2018
The Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
The Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia (JCVA) is now the official journal of the European Association of Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology (EACTA), Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia is primarily aimed at anaesthesiologists who deal with patients undergoing cardiac, thoracic or vascular surgical procedures. JCVA features a multidisciplinary approach, with peer-reviewed contributions from cardiac, vascular and thoracic surgeons, cardiologists, and other related specialists. Emphasis is placed on rapid publication of clinically relevant material. The journal is international in scope and encourages innovative submissions from all continents.
The usual JCVA delivery times are February, April, June, August, October and December.
Please make sure that your mailing details are kept updated as back issues of the journal is not available.
The online access for The Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia is accessable after your member login. For further information please click here.
(You have full text access of the articles as a benefit of your membership)
Following this link will provide you with the abstracts of the original articles published in the JCVA. Abstracts of the Articles (Public)
You wish to submit a paper to JCVA? Please click here and follow the instructions as given on the website
Eight years of EACVI-EACTA joint accreditation
Dear Friends and Colleagues
The EACVI (European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging) and EACTA (European Association of Cardiothoracic Anaesthesiology) joint process of certification in TEE (Transoesophageal Echocardiograpy) has now reached 8 years of active life. After a long preparation work and many meetings between panels of experts expressed by the two associations, it was finalized in the year 2005. The first examination was run in Montpellier on June 4th, 2005, during the EACTA Annual Congress. The examinations have been subsequently and regularly held twice a year, during the EACVI congress, EUROECHO-IMAGING (in December) and the annual EACTA Annual Congress (in May-June).
The certification process includes the examination plus an expert evaluation of a logbook of TEE examinations performed by the candidate and approved by a supervisor.
This is collaboration not just across Europe but also between our two organisations which is an important achievement. An enthusiastic expert team drawn from the EACVI and EACTA run a tough but fair process of voluntary assessment. This will identify those with the knowledge and skill to perform and report transoesophageal echocardiograms, which may then be adopted in each country in accordance with the national laws for medical practice. For those who have been accredited we hope this will continue as a lifelong pathway of learning and development.
We strongly encourage cardiologists, anaesthesiologists and physicians throughout Europe to seek EACVI/EACTA Certification in TEE as a mark of recognition for their knowledge and skill, for the credit that this brings to their department and for the assurance this brings to their patients of the high standards of their work.
It represents an opportunity for all those performing TEE to advance themselves through the achievement of an internationally recognised credential.
EACVI President 2012-2014